Tuesday, May 18, 2010

62. Join the Mile High Club


So, I fly a lot... And I mean a lot.

Today is May 18 and so far this year, I have flown from Sydney to Melbourne 4 times, I have flown from Sydney to Brisbane and back, from Sydney to Cairns and back, from Sydney to the Gold Coast and then back out of Brisbane and then there was a private charter from Sydney to Albury (do not get me started on how much I hated that particular flight)...

So, I fly a lot... And I hate it. But that's not the point of this post.

I'm curious - how does one go about joining the Mile High Club? Do you have to fly with someone you're involved with for it to happen? Is it a surreptitious wink to some random stranger in Business Class as you board the flight (please - economy is so passe!)? Is it something only flight attendants on those bawdy British sitcoms do?

I've had a fling with a Pilot - he flew for British Airways, we met in Singapore when I was there working and he was about 10 years older than me (silver fox is the most often used phrase for that hook up). It all took place on the ground though... But it was the uniform, the power and his thrusting jet engines (sorry Mum - I promised someone I'd write that)...

I met another pilot in Melbourne a couple of months ago (also what one could dub a silver fox) and not once did he say "fly my friendly skies...a mile high"...

So I'm curious as to how it happens. There was a hot guy that I sat next to on the flight to the GC on Saturday night - no ring, nobody flying with him, we smiled politely and took our seats, careful not to touch. How do you go from that politeness to a quicky in a room that is a quarter of the size of my wardrobe?

I'm throwing the question out to the world (or to my readership at least).. Have you ever joined the Mile High Club? Do you know anyone who has? I want a story - it just may not necessarily be mine....

No comments:

Post a Comment